Building the Leader Within: Leadership and Management Skills
DATES: 12/7/2020 through 12/9/2020
INSTRUCTOR(S): Steven Kellams
LOCATION: Bonneville County Sheriff's Office Training Annex - 577 D Street, Idaho Falls, ID 83402
HOTEL: Candlewood Suites Idaho Falls - Idaho Falls, ID
Contact Hotel for State Govt. Rate
COURSE REGISTRATION FEE: $350.00 Includes all training materials, and a Certificate of Completion.
Steven Kellams is a Detective Lieutenant and field training expert for the Bloomington Police
Department. Lieutenant Kellams attended Indiana University from 1987 to 1991. In 1989 he graduated from the Indiana
University Police Academy. In 1991 he was hired by the Bloomington Police Department and was assigned to night shift.
During that time he has been a breath-test operator, bike patrol officer, field training officer, senior field training
officer, and field training manager. He has also served the department as Civil Disturbance Unit Commander and Special
Investigations Unit Commander. He is currently assigned as the Detective Division Commander.
In 2000 Lieutenant Kellams was instrumental in redesigning the field training program for the
Bloomington Police Department and has taught that program to hundreds of departments throughout Indiana and the United
States. He has also instructed on field training issues at the national level when he presented courses at the 2002,
2009, 2010, and 2011 National Association of Field Training Officers conference in Ann Arbor, Michigan; Madison,
Wisconsin; Denver, Colorado; and Phoenix, Arizona.
In 2000 Lieutenant Kellams was elected state director for the Indiana Chapter of the National Association of Field
Training Officers. In 2005 he was elected to the Executive Board of the National Association of Field Training Officers
and in 2008 he was the National President of NAFTO.
In 2005 Lieutenant Kellams was named Monroe County Officer of the Year for his work with the
Bloomington Police Departments Field Training Program.
Lieutenant Kellams is a certified Indiana Law Enforcement Academy training instructor and teaches courses in
Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, domestic violence, officer safety, firearms, civil disturbance, and field training
Pre-Payment is not required to register or attend IN-PERSON seminars. Pre-payment is required for WEBINARS and ONLINE COURSES.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS SEMINAR
|· Promote the profession through ethical and moral decision-making processes.
· Display an advanced level of knowledge and skills of leadership.
· Exhibit critical-thinking process to further the profession.
· Establish the value of the profession to the community.
· Understand and evaluate current and future issues and trends in basic principles of
leadership and the characteristics of the effective transformational leader.
· Evaluate and compare the various political, legal and social environments encircling the
law enforcement today.
· Gain an understanding of their own strengths and weaknesses via the DISC
personality assessment, while learning to appreciate others’ unique capabilities and
· Appreciate the appropriate use of power in providing first line supervision in policing.
· Recognize how paradigms have both aided and thwarted change initiatives throughout
time and in unexpected manners.
· Learn that the concepts of time management and situational leadership.
· Leave this course with a renewed commitment to the importance of both adhering to
and providing an environment dedicated to ethical leadership of ourselves, our
subordinates, the communities we serve.